What is NEET?
NEET is one of the most challenging medical entrance examinations conducted in India. NEET or the National Eligibility cum Entrance Examination is conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency). Each year tons of students appear for this examination to seek admission to MBBS, AYUSH, BDS, BUMS, BHMS, BAMS, Veterinary, and other medical courses. NEET is conducted annually at around 155 examination centers in India. With around 16 lakh applicants, NEET has captured the throne of one of the top-rated examinations in India. The students who desire to take admission to world-class medical universities must qualify for the NEET examination to tailor a successful career.
Key Highlights of National Eligibility cum Entrance Examination (NEET)
- NEET is conducted by the NTA (National Testing Agency) once a year.
- The examination mode of NEET is offline pen-paper-based examination.
- The exam duration of NEET is 3 hours.
- The student who qualified in NEET can seek admission in 1561 top medical colleges in India.
NEET 2021 Dates
The NEET 2021 examination dates are officially announced by NTA on March 12, 2021. The all-India NEET examination will be conducted on August 1, 2021. The exam will be conducted in a total of 11 languages in the offline mode. The application form and the official notice will be released soon. The Directorate General of Health (DGHS) is expected to release the exam dates for NEET 2021 soon.
The National Testing Agency (NTA) designs the NEET syllabus. The exam primarily consists of three subjects, namely Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. NTA keeps the syllabus of NEET parallel to Classes 11 and 12. However, several new topics may be added to the syllabus. The students can go through the latest syllabus on the official NTA site. As per the last year’s NEET examination pattern, the question paper comprises a total of 180 multiple-choice questions. Physics and Chemistry contribute 45 questions to the NEET paper. While 90 questions are asked from Biology and the total time allotted to solve the paper is around 3 hours. According to the NEET exam pattern, the aspirants are rewarded with 4 marks on each right answer, while 1 mark is subtracted for every wrong answer. The exam is conducted in 11 languages: English, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Kannada, Telugu, Oriya, Tamil, Marathi, Gujrati, and Assamese.
NTA certifies some criteria to apply for NEET. Here are the eligibility criteria for NEET 2021
- The applicants must be at least 17 years old as of December 31, 2021.
- There is no upper limit to applying for NEET. However, the applicants older than 25 years applying for the exam will be provisionally admitted to the ruling of the Delhi High Court.
- The candidates must be Indian Citizens.
- They can be Non-Residents Indian (NRIs).
- The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) is also allowed to sit for NEET.
- A Person Of Indian Origin (PIO) can apply for the examination.
- Foreign Nationals are also permitted to sit for the test.
- The applicant must have mandatorily cleared the 10+2 examination from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Maths as the main subjects.
- The aspirants who completed their 10+2 examination from open school can also apply for NEET.
- The applicants who have passed their 12th examination with Biology as the additional subject can also appear in the exam.
Minimum Marks to Qualify For NEET
- The general category students must have an aggregate mark of a minimum of 50 percent in their 12th examination.
- The PwD category candidates must have aggregate marks of at least 45 percent in the 12th examination.
- The SC/ST/OBC candidates must have aggregate marks of at least 45 percent in the 12th examination.
NEET Application Fee 2021
- The application fee for General or Unreserved category candidates is Rs. 1500.
- The application fee for General-EWS and OBC-NCL category candidates is Rs. 1400.
- The SC/ST category candidates are required to pay an application fee of Rs. 800.
NEET 2021 Seat Reservation Criteria
- NEET seat reservation for all-India General-EWS students is 10 percent.
- The OBC candidates are given 27 percent seat reservation in the NEET examination.
- The SC candidates get 15 percent reservation of seats in India.
- Seat reservation for all-India General-EWS students is 7.5 percent.
- The PwD applicants enjoy a reservation of 5 percent in NEET.
Application Process of NEET 2021
Here is the procedure to apply for NEET 2021 –
- Visits the official NTA website at ntaneet.nic.in and hits the register for NEET 2021 option.
- The aspirants must fill-up the NEET application form with mandatory details, including academic and personal information.
- Present the mandatory documents such as scanned photographs, Class 10 certificate, left-thumb impression, and the other required documents.
- After filling up the form, carefully cross-check every detail and proceed to the payment portal.
- Complete the payment and take a print-out of the confirmation details for future references.
NEET Correction Window 2021
NTA presents the exclusive facility to the applicants to rectify their mistakes, in case they entered wrong details while filling the application form. Employing the correction window service, the applicants can modify the details to change academic or personal information.