Want to Study in the USA?
The United States remains the premier destination for international students because it has something for everyone. US Universities offer a vast number of academic options and it is always possible to find the one program that is a perfect match for your interests. One can focus on a rather narrow area of discipline or study a varied group of subjects – as per one’s requirements. The variety, flexibility, and quality of American education are the factors that draw students to the US in large numbers from everywhere. Types of Educational Institutions in the US There are nearly 6,000 postsecondary career and technical schools, and over 4,000 degree-granting institutions of higher education in the United States. To keep matters simple, we have classified them according to the highest degree/diploma they award.
Post-Secondary career and technical schools These schools provide short training courses and sometimes specialized degree programs. The vast majority of career and technical schools are private and many of them are operated on a for-profit basis. Career and technical schools are generally approved and regulated by state governments.
They don’t provide any degrees, only certificates. Community and Junior Colleges Community colleges provide a variety of educational services, ranging from adult and community education services, through post-secondary career and technical education, to academic and professional studies at the university level permitting transfer to higher-level studies such as the bachelor’s degree. Most such colleges offer Associate degrees. Almost all of them have transfer arrangements with local public and private colleges and universities (called articulation agreements) that permit students who have completed approved courses of study to transfer to bachelor’s level studies with up to 2 years of academic credit. Colleges and Universities There are many famous US colleges and universities. Institutions that offer bachelor’s and higher degrees are often called ‘senior’ colleges or universities. These may be single campus institutions, multi-campus institutions or systems comprising several independent institutions.
The USA in Current Condition
Geographically located in the Western Hemisphere on the continent of Northam America, the United States is recorded as the fourth-largest country in the world. Its total area, including Alaska and Hawaii, is 9,629,091 sq km. It is bordered on the North by Canada, on the East by the Atlantic Ocean, on the South by the Gulf of Mexico and Mexico, and on the West by the Pacific Ocean. The nation & capital, Washington, D.C., is located on the mid-Atlantic coast. State services include fields of education, transportation, health and social welfare, public protection (including state police and prison personnel), housing, and labor. A known fact, the US economy is the world’s largest. In variety and quantity, the natural resources of the United States probably exceed those of any other nation, with the possible exception of the former Soviet Union. The United States is among the world-leading exporters of coal, wheat, corn, and soybeans. However, because of its vast economic growth, the United States depends increasingly on foreign sources for raw materials, including oil.
Why Study in the USA?
An Education in the USA bolsters not just your dream but offers a brand-new experience of life. No matter which field you are in, the USA always gives you an edge by offering the best in quality, variety, and flexibility. One of the major factors that puts American universities a cut above the rest is the standard of education that is ensured. The highest number of US universities are represented in the top 10 universities of the World by major league tables like Times Higher education and QS. Also, the US education system offers flexibility in courses that are offered, which enables you to select your choice of subject from a variety of topics. Along with variety of options, American universities provide students with a wide scope for research on their subject of interest. One of the positive points of studying in America is that the country invests a lot in Research and Development. The USA holds the record of spending the most on Research and Development. According to an OECD report, in 2012 the USA spent 2.792% of its GDP on R&D.
US Education Cost
The study cost depends on what degree you are pursuing- Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD. The cost also varies according to the type of institutions i.e. public or private. The Bachelor’s degree tuition fee can range from $ 15000 to $ 55000 per year. The Master’s degree can range from $ 15000 to $ 30,000 per year. Softamo Education Group assists students to apply and receive Education Loan to finance their education costs.
Qualifying Exams for the USA
- GRE: GRE is mandatory for almost all MS level programs in the USA including management studies. While all universities require GRE general test score some also ask the student to take GRE subject tests.
- GMAT: One of the most important elements of the application package for admission to an MBA in the USA is the GMAT score. The GMAT is a standardized test that evaluates a candidate on four yardsticks -Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative, and Verbal. The GMAT test score is valid for up to 5 years.
- SAT: SAT is taken for undergraduate admission in the United States and some other countries and assesses how well the test takers analyze and solve problems. It is usually taken by junior and senior high school students and is based on subjects taught in high school programs.
- TOEFL: TOEFL is an English proficiency for students from non- native English speaking country students.
- IELTS: IELTS is also an English proficiency test for students from non- native English speaking countries.
- MCAT: Students interested in pursuing medical studies in the US have to appear for MCAT.
- LSAT: LSAT is for law aspirants.
- USMLE: The United States Medical Licensing Examination or USMLE is a screening test for medical graduates who want to practice medicine in the US. The three-step examination offers medical licensure in the US.