NExT National Exit Test For Medical Graduates Initial Updates
Amidst all the confusion prevailing about the NExT exam here is some initial information from sources
Comments & Suggestions from all medical students studying in India & abroad are Invited on this page to form an opinion about this issue & how should we proceed further in this matter
There was a meeting with The BoG at ICMR. The meeting was just for proposals. No final conclusion has been made.
As per preliminary information received from sources, NExT will be 2 step exams
NExT_1: 6 to 8 weeks after final proof exams. It will comprise of exams as shown in the slide
- Medical & Allied – 120 items (3 hrs)
+ Paediatric -60 items (1.5 hr post-lunch)
- Surgery & Allied – 120 items (3hrs)
+ ENT – 60 items (1.5 hr post-lunch)
- Obst. & Gynae – 120 items (3 hrs)
+ Ophthalmology – 60 items (1.5 hr post-lunch)
- 60% Problem Solving
- 30% Comprehension/Analysis
- 10% Recall
- 10% Preventive & Public Health
- (10% of the total in each stream will be asked from applied basic sciences)
- Qualifying this exam is necessary if you want to enter an internship and get an MBBS degree. (cutoff will be decided by NMC)
- The exam will be Online, it will decide your rank for getting admission in PG course
- NExT-1 will be conducted over 3 days. (details are still confidential & can’t be disclosed as of now before ratification)
- Scores will be in Percentile.
NExT_2: will be held After Internship (after 1 month)
It will be only an exam to test the practical skills of the Doctor.
It will be based on skills learned by MBBS graduate during his/her internship
extra attempts will be provided on failing in 1st attempt
Both Exams will get implemented for the Batch of 2017.
A batch of 2016 should be prepared to give a Qualifying exam at the end of the Internship to be allowed to practice.
There was a proposal of quashing the Final 2 Year Profs, converting them to IA by College and instead there can be conducted a NExT-1 exam (in March) after course completion (in Jan).
In other words, the suggestion was to :
Eliminate the theory exam of 3rd proof part 1 and part 2 and only test their practical exam.
Then at the end of MBBS 3rd proof part 2, NExT -1 will be held comprising of all subjects with the involvement of only applied knowledge from pre & paramedical subjects
In this manner, NExT-1 is claimed to reduce exam burden of students & also act as both licentiate as well as PG entrance exam
Now that plans for quashing an Essay based Final 3rd & 4th Profs are being discussed, the necessity of a Supplementary Exam was strongly put forward and it will be considered, so we can hope for a Supplementary Exam
- With the change in the GMER schedule, the Prof III part II exams are proposed to be held in January, in all medical colleges.
- Supplementary exams are proposed to be held in February.
- NExt 1 also known as Prof-IV part I is proposed to be held in March.
- The internship is proposed to start from April
- The internship is proposed to complete in March
- NExT 2 also known as Prof-IV part II is proposed to be held in April
- PG course is expected to start in JULY