Uzhhorod National University was founded on October 18, 1945, in accordance with the joint resolution of Council of People’s Commissars of Ukrainian SSR and Central Committee of Communist Party of Ukrainian SSR. The resolution stated the following: “due to considerable demand of cultural upbringing in Transcarpathian Ukraine and the solicitude of the Council of Transcarpathian Ukraine, Council of National Commissars of Ukrainian SSR and Central Committee of Ukrainian Communist Party decree: “to open in 1945 State University in Uzhhorod with the following faculties: history, philology, biology, medicine…”. Preparatory courses were opened first.
On February 1, 1946, the first 168 students from towns and villages of Ukraine began their studies. The first faculties to open were historical, philological, biological and medical. On July 1, 1946, there were 15 departments with 42 members in the teaching staff. In 1946 the Council of Ministers of the USSR proclaimed that Uzhhorod State University belonged to the first category of higher education institutions and since then it has been administrated by the Ministry of Higher Education of the Soviet Union. Uzhhorod State University attained help from 50 biggest universities and academic institutions of Ukraine. Scientific, technical, political and science-fiction literature and textbooks were sent to Uzhhorod from universities in Baku, Kazan, Tbilisi as well as other towns and cities of the former Soviet Union. On October 19, 2000, Uzhhorod State University was renamed Uzhhorod National University.
The university today consists of the Ukrainian-Hungarian Educational and Scientific Institute, Natural Sciences and Humanities College and 20 faculties covering the spheres of history, philology, law, social sciences, physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, medicine, stomatology, engineering, geography, physical education and sport, foreign languages, computer technologies.
The building housing the faculties of History, Engineering and International Relations
There are over 13,000 students enrolled at the university. Several scientific institutes and laboratories are housed at the university too, including the Institute for Solid State Physics and Chemistry, the Institute of Carpathian Studies, the Research Laboratory of Physical Electronics with the Space Exploration Laboratory, the Center for Hungarian studies, and the Research Laboratory of Ecosystem Conservation. The university operates a botanical garden and a mountainside biological research station. Its library collection has approx 1.5 million volumes.