The UNP, a state university situated in Barangay Tamag, City of Vigan, Ilocos Sur, Philippines, offers education to students.It was established in 1906 as Vigan High School and evolved into Ilocos Sur Trade School in 1931. In 1965, it was converted into a university through Republic Act 4449, authored by Congressman Floro S. Crisologo, and started implementing its charter on October 14 of the same year. It is the oldest state university in Northern Luzon, offering low tuition fees, and is aimed at less-fortunate people.
UNP is the only state university in Ilocos Sur and one of three state-owned educational institutions of higher learning operating in the province, alongside Ilocos Sur Polytechnic State College and the Northern Luzon Polytechnic State College, a former branch of UNP.
In 1951, UNP was known as the Northern Luzon School of Arts and Trades (NLSAT) under Republic Act 547, but it was converted back to Ilocos Sur School of Arts and Trades (ISSAT) in 1960 through the General Appropriations Act. It was finally converted into UNP in 1965, and its founding is credited to Congressman Crisologo.
Check Your Eligibility
UNP underwent several changes throughout its history. In 1989, Candon Community College (CCC) was incorporated into UNP through Republic Act 6744, but it was later split to become the Northern Luzon Polytechnic State College in 2010. The commitment of UNP to the new Stepladder Nursing Curriculum pioneered in Palo, Leyte, led to the construction of the College of Health Sciences building in the late 1980s, which was formerly the tallest building in UNP.
UNP also faced setbacks, particularly in 2009, when two devastating fires struck the university, damaging the Father Jose Burgos Hall and the Elpidio Quirino Hall. Despite this, the university fully recovered in a few months and constructed a bigger three-story Administration Building to replace the damaged one. UNP’s FM radio station, dwNP Campus Radio, was also relaunched in 2008 and now occupies the 100.5 MHz frequency.
Under the administration of UNP President Gilbert R. Arce, the university underwent sweeping reforms, including organizational and infrastructure changes In a first for Ilocos Sur, the school year start date was changed to August, accompanied by the construction of new facilities including the University of Northern Philippines Hostel and the tallest on-campus dormitory building in the region.These changes led to the university’s success, with two graduates from the College of Medicine landing first in the Medical Council of India board examinations.
UNP’s Infirmary was also completed in 2011, and it now houses the College of Medicine, which was spun off from the College of Health Sciences starting SY 2014–2015. The university is committed to providing quality education to less-fortunate people, and its history and evolution demonstrate its dedication to this goal.
University of Northern Philippines Overview
The University of Northern Philippines (UNP) was founded in 1965 as a government institution. It has been recognized by the National Medical Commission (NMC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). UNP offers a six-year program that includes an internship for students pursuing medicine.
To be eligible for admission to UNP’s medical program, candidates must have a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in physics, chemistry, and biology. Additionally, students must pass the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET), which is mandatory for all medical colleges in India.
One advantage of UNP’s medical program is that applicants are not required to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. The medium of instruction for the program is English.
Overall, the University of Northern Philippines provides a solid option for students interested in pursuing medicine. Its accreditation by NMC and WHO, as well as its English-language curriculum, make it an attractive choice for international students looking for a quality medical education.
Affiliations and Recognitions of University of Northern Philippines
- Commission on Higher Education (CHED): The regulatory body for higher education in the Philippines recognizes the University of Northern Philippines, indicating that the institution meets the government’s standards and provides quality education to its students.
- World Health Organization (WHO): As a United Nations agency responsible for promoting global public health, WHO recognizes the University of Northern Philippines, which demonstrates the institution’s adherence to WHO guidelines and highlights its commitment to promoting global health.
- Medical Board of California (MBC): The regulatory body for medical practitioners in California, USA, recognizes the University of Northern Philippines, allowing the institution’s graduates to apply for a license to practice medicine in California. This recognition affirms the quality of education provided by the college and the competency of its graduates.
- The University of Northern Philippines is a member of the Association of Philippine Medical Colleges (APMC), a national organization comprising medical colleges in the Philippines. This membership indicates that the University has met the APMC’s quality standards and is dedicated to providing high-quality medical education in the country.
- Medical Council of India (MCI): The regulatory body for medical education in India recognizes the University of Northern Philippines, allowing Indian students who graduate from the institution to apply for a license to practice medicine in India. This recognition affirms the quality of education provided by the institution and the competency of its graduates.
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG): A non-profit organization that evaluates the qualifications of international medical graduates, ECFMG recognizes University of Northern Philippines, allowing the institution’s graduates to apply for residency programs and practice medicine in the USA. This recognition is an affirmation of the quality of education provided by the institution and the competency of its graduates.
- International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE): A global organization that promotes quality assurance in higher education, INQAAHE recognizes the University of Northern Philippines as a member, indicating that the institution is committed to providing quality medical education and adheres to INQAAHE’s guidelines.
- Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA): A national organization that accredits higher education programs in the Philippines, PACUCOA accredits the University of Northern Philippines Doctor of Medicine program. This accreditation ensures that the institution’s Doctor of Medicine program meets the standards set by PACUCOA and provides quality medical education in the Philippines.
- Asian Medical Students’ Association (AMSA): The University of Northern Philippines is a member of AMSA, an international organization for medical students, which provides students with opportunities for networking and collaboration with other medical students from around the world.
- Philippine Association of Medical Colleges-Student Network (PAMC-SN): The University of Northern Philippines is a member of PAMC-SN, a national organization of medical college student councils in the Philippines, which allows the institution’s student council to participate in activities and events with other medical students across the country.
- Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning (ASAIHL): A regional organization of universities and colleges in Southeast Asia, ASAIHL recognizes the University of Northern Philippines as a member, which provides opportunities for collaboration and networking with other institutions in the region.
- International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA): The University of Northern Philippines is affiliated with IFMSA, a global organization for medical students, which provides opportunities for students to participate in international programs and projects related to public health and medical education.
Why MBBS in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students?
- Affordable tuition fees: Compared to other universities offering MBBS courses, the University of Northern Philippines has relatively lower tuition fees. This makes it an attractive option for Indian students who may be on a tight budget.
- Recognized by MCI: The Medical Council of India (MCI) recognizes the MBBS degree awarded by the University of Northern Philippines. This means that Indian students who graduate from this university are eligible to take the MCI screening test to practice medicine in India.
- Quality education: The University of Northern Philippines is committed to providing high-quality education to its students. The university also has modern facilities and equipment to enhance the learning experience.
- English as the medium of instruction: English is the medium of instruction at the University of Northern Philippines. This is beneficial for Indian students who may have studied in English medium schools in India. They will not face any language barriers while studying at this university.
- Internship opportunities: The university has tie-ups with various hospitals and medical institutions in the Philippines. Indian students who study MBBS at the University of Northern Philippines will have access to these institutions for their internships. This will give them valuable practical experience and exposure to the healthcare system in the Philippines.
- Cultural exchange: Studying at the University of Northern Philippines will give Indian students the opportunity to interact with students from different cultural backgrounds. This will help them develop their social skills and broaden their perspective on different cultures.
- Safe and friendly environment: The University of Northern Philippines provides a safe and friendly environment for its students. The campus is equipped with modern security measures to ensure the safety of its students. The university also has a student support system to assist Indian students with any issues they may face while studying at the university.
- Career opportunities: Indian students who graduate from the University of Northern Philippines with an MBBS degree will have various career opportunities in India and abroad. They can choose to pursue further studies or practice medicine in India or other countries.
- Diverse student community: The University of Northern Philippines has a diverse student community. Indian students will have the opportunity to interact with students from different parts of the world. This will help them develop a global perspective and enhance their cultural awareness.
- Beautiful location: The University of Northern Philippines is located in Vigan City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Indian students who study at this university will have the opportunity to explore the beautiful city and its surroundings.
Advantages of Studying MBBS in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students
Accreditation and Recognition
The University of Northern Philippines is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) of the Philippines, which is responsible for ensuring the quality of education in the country. The university is also recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI), which means that Indian students who study MBBS in the university are eligible to take the MCI screening test and practice medicine in India.
Affordable Tuition Fees
Studying MBBS in India can be quite expensive, especially in private colleges. However, the University of Northern Philippines offers affordable tuition fees compared to Indian colleges. This makes it an excellent option for Indian students who are looking for quality education at a reasonable cost.
English as the Medium of Instruction
The University of Northern Philippines conducts its classes in English, which is an advantage for Indian students who are well-versed in the language. This means that students do not need to learn a new language to study MBBS in the university, making the transition to a new academic environment easier.
Experienced and Qualified Faculty
The faculty at the University of Northern Philippines is experienced and highly qualified. They have years of experience in teaching and research, and many of them have published research papers in reputed international journals. This ensures that students receive high-quality education and training, which prepares them well for their future careers as doctors.
The University of Northern Philippines has state-of-the-art infrastructure, including well-equipped labs, libraries, and classrooms. The university also has a hospital that is equipped with modern medical equipment, allowing students to gain hands-on experience in a real-world setting.
The University of Northern Philippines has a diverse student population, with students from different parts of the world, including India. This cultural diversity provides a unique opportunity for Indian students to learn about different cultures and traditions, making their academic experience more enriching.
Safe and Secure Environment
The University of Northern Philippines provides a safe and secure environment for its students. The campus is monitored by security personnel, and students are provided with a safe and secure place to live on campus. This ensures that Indian students feel safe and comfortable while studying in the university.
Faculties in University of Northern Philippines
- Medicine: The University of Northern Philippines is home to a prestigious medical school that offers a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum. The program is designed to produce highly skilled physicians who are equipped to provide quality healthcare services to their patients.
- Dentistry: The Dentistry program at the University of Northern Philippines is one of the most sought after in the region. The faculty is composed of experienced dentists who are dedicated to providing students with the knowledge and skills they need to become competent practitioners in the field.
- Fine Art: The Fine Art program at the University of Northern Philippines is renowned for its innovative and creative approach to teaching. The program aims to produce artists who are not only skilled in their craft but also socially aware and responsible.
- Technology: The Technology program at the University of Northern Philippines is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge they need to excel in the rapidly evolving field of technology. The faculty is composed of industry experts who provide students with hands-on training and real-world experience.
- Social Work: The Social Work program at the University of Northern Philippines is dedicated to producing graduates who are committed to promoting social justice and improving the lives of individuals and communities. The program offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes theoretical and practical training.
- School of Law: The School of Law at the University of Northern Philippines is one of the most respected in the region. The faculty is composed of experienced lawyers and legal scholars who provide students with a rigorous and comprehensive education in the field of law.
- Criminology: The Criminology program at the University of Northern Philippines is designed to produce graduates who are knowledgeable and skilled in the field of law enforcement and criminal justice. The program provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the criminal justice system and its role in society.
- Teacher Education: The Teacher Education program at the University of Northern Philippines is designed to produce competent and effective educators who are committed to improving the quality of education in the region. The program provides students with the theoretical and practical training they need to become successful teachers.
Fees Structure for MBBS in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students
|Program Name||Duration||Fees (in USD)|
|B.S. Pre-Medicine||1.5 years||2800|
|MD Year I||1 year||2000|
|MD Year II||1 year||2000|
|MD Year III||1 year||2000|
|MD Year IV||1 year||2000|
|MD Year V (1 Semester) + Internship||1 year||As per govt. regulations|
The University of Northern Philippines offers a comprehensive MBBS program for Indian students. The program includes a 1.5-year B.S. Pre-Medicine program, followed by five years of MD study, including a one-year internship as per government regulations. The fees for each program vary, with the B.S. Pre-Medicine program costing 2800 USD, and each year of the MD program costing 2000 USD. The fees for the MD Year V (1 Semester) + Internship program are not listed and are subject to government regulations.
Global Ranking of University of Northern Philippines
|Ranking||University of Northern Philippines|
The University of Northern Philippines is currently ranked 140th in the country and 10732nd in the world. These rankings are an indication of the university’s performance and reputation in the academic world. They can be used by students, faculty, and researchers to make informed decisions about their education and career choices. The rankings take into account various factors such as research output, academic reputation, student-to-faculty ratio, and international outlook, among others. By analyzing these rankings, universities can identify areas of improvement and work towards enhancing their performance and global reputation.
Eligibility Criteria to Study MBBS in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students
- Academic Qualification: Indian students who wish to pursue MBBS at the University of Northern Philippines must have completed their 10+2 or equivalent examination with Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) from a recognized board or institution.
- Minimum Marks: Indian students must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in their 10+2 or equivalent examination. However, some colleges may require higher marks, and students are advised to check the specific requirements of the college they wish to apply to.
- Age Criteria: Indian students must be at least 17 years of age at the time of admission to the MBBS program at the University of Northern Philippines.
- Language Proficiency: Indian students must be proficient in the English language as the medium of instruction in the MBBS program is English. Students who have completed their education in English medium schools are exempted from taking any language proficiency tests.
- Entrance Examination: Indian students must have cleared the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for admission to MBBS courses in India. However, some colleges may conduct their entrance examination, and students must check the specific requirements of the college they wish to apply to.
- Visa Requirements: Indian students must obtain a student visa to study MBBS in the University of Northern Philippines. They must apply for a visa at the nearest Philippine embassy or consulate in India.
- Health Requirements: Indian students must undergo a medical examination and obtain a certificate from a recognized medical practitioner stating that they are physically and mentally fit to pursue the MBBS program at the University of Northern Philippines.
- Financial Requirements: Indian students must demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover the cost of tuition fees, accommodation, and other living expenses during their stay in the Philippines. They may be required to provide proof of financial support, such as bank statements or income certificates.
Admission Procedure for MBBS in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students
The University of Northern Philippines (UNP) is a well-renowned institution that offers a high-quality education in the field of medicine. If you’re an Indian student who wants to pursue an MBBS degree at UNP, then you must follow the admission procedure carefully. Here are the steps you need to take to apply for MBBS at UNP:
- Check Eligibility Criteria: Before you apply for MBBS at UNP, make sure you fulfill the eligibility criteria. To be eligible, you must have completed your 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English as core subjects, and scored at least 50% in aggregate in your 12th standard. Additionally, you must have cleared NEET-UG with a minimum score.
- Obtain Application Form: The next step is to obtain the application form. You can either download the form from the UNP website or get it from the UNP office. Make sure to fill the form carefully and accurately, providing all the required details.
- Pay Application Fee: After filling the application form, you need to pay the application fee. You can pay the fee online or via bank transfer.
- Submit Application Form: Once you have filled the application form and paid the fee, you need to submit it to the UNP office. Make sure to attach all the required documents, such as your mark sheets, NEET scorecard, and passport-sized photographs.
- Wait for Admission Notification: After submitting your application, you need to wait for the admission notification. UNP will notify you about the admission process and the documents required for admission.
- Attend Counseling Session: If you’re selected for admission, you need to attend the counseling session. During the session, you will be allotted a seat, and you need to pay the admission fee to secure your seat.
- Complete Admission Formalities: After paying the admission fee, you need to complete the admission formalities, such as submitting the required documents, undertaking a medical examination, and getting a student visa.
- Join Classes: Once you have completed all the admission formalities, you can join the MBBS course at UNP. You need to attend the classes regularly and complete the coursework as per the university’s guidelines.
- Follow University Guidelines: As a student of UNP, you need to follow the university’s guidelines regarding attendance, conduct, and academic performance. Any deviation from the guidelines may result in disciplinary action.
- Complete the Course: Finally, you need to complete the MBBS course at UNP, including the practical training and internship. After successfully completing the course, you will be awarded an MBBS degree, which will enable you to practice medicine in India or any other country.
Documents Required for MBBS in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students
The University of Northern Philippines (UNP) is a well-renowned institution located in the City of Vigan, Ilocos Sur, Philippines. The university has been offering high-quality education for over a century and is known for its extensive MBBS program. Many Indian students aspire to study MBBS in UNP, and the application process can be a bit overwhelming for them. In this article, we will discuss the documents required for MBBS in the University of Northern Philippines for Indian students.
- Valid Passport: The first and foremost document that Indian students require is a valid passport. The passport should have a minimum of 6 months validity from the date of entry into the Philippines.
- Educational Documents: Indian students should have their educational documents, such as 10th and 12th mark sheets and certificates, and graduation certificates, attested by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and the Embassy of the Philippines in India.
- NEET Scorecard: The NEET scorecard is a mandatory requirement for Indian students seeking admission to the MBBS program in UNP. The scorecard should be valid for the current academic year.
- Application Form: The Indian students should fill out the application form available on the official website of UNP. The application form should be filled with accurate information, including personal details, educational qualifications, and other required information.
- Medical Certificates: Students should submit a medical certificate certifying that they are physically and mentally fit to undertake the MBBS program. The certificate should be issued by a registered medical practitioner and should be authenticated by the MEA and the Embassy of the Philippines in India.
- Police Clearance Certificate: Indian students should obtain a police clearance certificate from their local police station or the regional passport office. The certificate should be attested by the MEA and the Embassy of the Philippines in India.
- Financial Documents: Students should submit financial documents such as bank statements or income certificates to prove their financial stability and ability to pay for the MBBS program’s expenses.
- English Proficiency Test Results: UNP requires Indian students to submit the results of English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS.
- Visa: After receiving the acceptance letter from UNP, Indian students should apply for a student visa at the Embassy of the Philippines in India. The visa process may take several weeks, and students should plan accordingly.
- Additional Requirements: UNP may have additional requirements specific to the MBBS program or the Indian students’ home country. It is recommended to check the official website or contact the university authorities for more information.
BS Program (Pre – Medicine Program) Syllabus (1.5 Years) in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students
|1st||Calculus and Analytical Geometry|
|Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy|
|Fundamentals of Genetics|
|Entomology Freshwater Biology|
|Philosophy of Man|
|Education for Sustainable Development|
|Cell and Molecular Biology|
|Politics and Governance/Phil. Const|
|4th||Rizal’s Life Works and Writings|
|Econ/Taxation and Agrarian Reforms|
|Histology and Micro-technique|
|Research in Bio. Sc. (Thesis writing)|
During the first term of the program, students will learn about Calculus and Analytical Geometry, Biochemistry, Plant Morpho-Anatomy, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, General Physiology, Parasitology, and Evolutionary Biology. The second term will cover Plant Physiology, Fundamentals of Genetics, Animal Physiology, Entomology Freshwater Biology, General Microbiology, Philosophy of Man, and Developmental Biology.
During the third term, students will learn about Ecology, Education for Sustainable Development, Research Methodology, Systematic Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Comparative Religion, and Politics and Governance/Phil. Const. The fourth and final term of the program will cover Rizal’s Life Works and Writings, Econ/Taxation and Agrarian Reforms, Human Genetics, Radiation Biology, Histology and Micro-technique, Research in Bio. Sc. (Thesis writing), and Immunology.
Syllabus of MBBS in University of Northern Philippines for Indian Students
The University of Northern Philippines offers a comprehensive MBBS syllabus for Indian students, comprising pre-clinical years, clinical years, and an internship year. The curriculum focuses on building a strong foundation in basic medical sciences during the pre-clinical years and developing clinical skills and practical experience during the clinical years.
Here’s a breakdown of the MBBS syllabus of the University of Northern Philippines for Indian students:
|Pre-clinical years (1st and 2nd year)||Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Behavioral Science||Building a strong foundation in basic medical sciences|
|Clinical years (3rd and 4th year)||Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Community Medicine||Developing clinical skills and practical experience|
|Internship (5th year)||Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Community Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Radiology, Pathology, and Anesthesiology||Practical training in a clinical setting|
During the pre-clinical years, students are introduced to fundamental medical sciences such as Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Behavioral Science. The goal of these courses is to help students understand the human body’s structure and functions, the biochemical processes that occur in the body, and the interactions between the body and various drugs.
In the clinical years, students focus on developing practical skills and experience in a clinical setting. The subjects covered during this period include Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Community Medicine. These courses help students develop an understanding of various medical conditions, their diagnosis, and treatment. They also learn how to interact with patients, conduct physical examinations, and interpret medical tests.
The final year of the MBBS syllabus at the University of Northern Philippines is the internship year. During this year, students receive practical training in a clinical setting, working alongside experienced doctors and healthcare professionals. The subjects covered during the internship year include Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Community Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Radiology, Pathology, and Anesthesiology. The objective of the internship is to provide students with hands-on experience and prepare them for their future careers as medical professionals.
Hostel and Accommodation Available in University of Northern Philippines
- The university has two main hostels for international students: the International Students Hostel (ISH) and the Gender and Development Hostel (GDH). Both hostels are located inside the university campus, making it convenient for students to access various facilities and services.
- The International Students Hostel has 48 rooms, while the Gender and Development Hostel has 30 rooms. Both hostels are equipped with basic facilities such as beds, study tables, chairs, and cabinets.
- The rooms in both hostels are air-conditioned and have their own bathrooms. Each room can accommodate up to three students. Students can choose to share a room with other Indian students or with students from other countries.
- The hostels also have a common room where students can relax and socialize with their fellow students. There are also kitchens where students can prepare their own meals.
- The university provides basic amenities such as water, electricity, and Wi-Fi. The cost of electricity is not included in the rental fee and is based on actual consumption.
- The rental fee for a room in the International Students Hostel is around Php 10,000 per semester, while the rental fee for a room in the Gender and Development Hostel is around Php 12,000 per semester. This fee includes water, Wi-Fi, and room maintenance.
- Aside from the university hostels, Indian students can also look for accommodation outside the campus. There are apartments and boarding houses available for rent near the university. The cost of renting an apartment or boarding house varies depending on the location and the facilities provided.
- Before moving to UNP, Indian students are advised to coordinate with the university’s International Relations Office (IRO) regarding their accommodation needs. The IRO can assist students in finding suitable accommodation and provide them with information on the rental fees and other expenses.
- Indian students should also secure the necessary documents such as their student visa, passport, and other travel documents before their departure. It is also recommended that they prepare enough money for their living expenses while studying in the Philippines.
- Studying in UNP can be a fulfilling experience for Indian students. The university provides quality education and a supportive environment for international students. With the availability of hostel and accommodation facilities, Indian students can focus on their studies and enjoy their stay in the Philippines.
Cost of Living in University of Northern Philippines
|Cost Category||Price Range (in INR)|
|Accommodation||7500 – 13,000|
|Food||4000 – 6000|
|Transportation||1500 – 2500|
The cost of accommodation ranges from 7500 to 13,000 INR, while food expenses can cost between 4000 to 6000 INR. Transportation costs range from 1500 to 2500 INR. These expenses may vary depending on the student’s lifestyle and preferences.
It is important to note that these costs only reflect the basic necessities of living in the University of Northern Philippines. Other expenses such as books, supplies, and personal items are not included in the table. Students should also consider other expenses such as health insurance and visa fees if they are from a foreign country.
Why MBBS in Philippines for Indian Students?
Affordable Tuition Fees
One of the most significant advantages of studying medicine in the Philippines is the affordable tuition fees. The cost of medical education in countries like the USA, UK, or Canada is prohibitively high for many Indian students. In contrast, the Philippines offers medical education at a fraction of the cost, making it an attractive option for students who cannot afford the exorbitant fees charged in other countries.
English as the Medium of Instruction
The Philippines is a country where English is the official language, which makes it easier for Indian students to adapt to the curriculum and communicate with professors and locals. Indian students are proficient in English, which means they can understand lectures and participate in discussions with ease. This is an essential aspect of academic success, as it ensures that students can fully comprehend the subject matter and engage with their peers and instructors.
Globally Recognized Degree
The medical degrees awarded by the Philippines are recognized globally, which means that Indian students can practice medicine in India or any other country after clearing the respective licensing exams. This recognition is critical because it ensures that the degree holds value and is recognized by employers and licensing bodies. Additionally, many medical colleges in the Philippines are accredited by the Medical Council of India (MCI), which means that Indian students can be confident that their education meets the standards required to practice medicine in India.
Shorter Duration of the Course
The MBBS degree in the Philippines typically takes around 5 years to complete, which is shorter compared to other countries where it takes 6-7 years to complete. This means that Indian students can save a year or two and start practicing medicine sooner. This is particularly advantageous for students who wish to begin their careers as medical professionals as soon as possible.
Advanced Medical Curriculum
The medical education program in the Philippines is modernized and equipped with the latest medical techniques and technologies. It provides students with a diverse range of clinical experiences, and the teaching approach prioritizes practical training and hands-on learning. This aspect of medical education is crucial because it guarantees that students are adequately equipped for their forthcoming professions as medical experts.
The culture in the Philippines is similar to that of India, which makes it easier for Indian students to adjust and feel at home. Additionally, there are many Indian restaurants and grocery stores in the Philippines, which means that students can easily find familiar food and ingredients. This is an essential aspect of the student experience because it ensures that students feel comfortable and supported in their new environment.
Safe and Friendly Environment
The Philippines is known for its friendly and hospitable people, and Indian students are welcomed with open arms. The country is also considered to be safe for international students, with a low crime rate and a stable political environment. This is an important consideration for Indian students who are moving to a new country and may be apprehensive about their safety and security.
Opportunity for International Exposure
Pursuing an MBBS degree in the Philippines offers Indian students the opportunity to meet and interact with students from different countries, which broadens their cultural understanding and exposure. This exposure is an important asset for their future careers as medical professionals, as it ensures that they can work effectively with patients and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
Benefits of Studying MBBS in Philippines for Indian Students
- Cost-effective: Studying MBBS in the Philippines is a cost-effective option compared to other countries like the US, UK, Canada, or Australia. The tuition fees are relatively lower, and the cost of living in the Philippines is also affordable. This makes it an ideal destination for Indian students who may have financial constraints.
- Quality Education: The Philippines has a robust education system and offers quality education in the medical field. Many medical colleges in the country are recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) and other international organizations. The curriculum followed in the Philippines is also similar to that of India, which makes it easier for Indian students to adapt and understand the concepts.
- English as a medium of instruction: The medium of instruction in most medical colleges in the Philippines is English. Indian students who are proficient in English find it easier to study and communicate with professors and classmates in the Philippines.
- Clinical Training: The Philippines offers excellent clinical training opportunities for medical students. Many medical colleges in the country are associated with top hospitals, providing students with the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and enhance their skills.
- Global Recognition: Medical degrees from the Philippines are recognized globally. Students who graduate from medical colleges in the Philippines are eligible to appear for licensing exams in different countries, including the United States, Canada, and India.
- International Exposure: Studying MBBS in the Philippines offers Indian students a chance to interact with students from different countries and cultures. This exposure helps students broaden their horizons and develop a global outlook, which is beneficial for their future careers.
- Safe and Secure: The Philippines is a safe country, and the government has taken several measures to ensure the safety of international students. Medical colleges in the Philippines also have dedicated departments to address the safety and security concerns of students.
- Visa Process: The visa process for Indian students to study in the Philippines is relatively simple and straightforward. The government of the Philippines offers student visas to international students, and the process can be completed within a short span of time.
- Hospitality: Filipinos are known for their hospitality and welcoming nature. Indian students studying in the Philippines can expect a warm and friendly environment, which makes their stay comfortable and enjoyable.
- Scholarship Programs: Many medical colleges in the Philippines offer scholarship programs to international students based on their academic performance. These scholarship programs help students reduce the financial burden of studying MBBS in the Philippines.
The University of Northern Philippines (UNP) is a public university located in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines. It offers a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) program that is open to international students, including those from India. If you are an Indian student considering pursuing an MBBS degree at UNP, you may have several questions. In this article, we will address some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about studying MBBS at the University of Northern Philippines.
What is the duration of the MBBS program at UNP?
The MBBS program at UNP has a duration of five years, including one year of clinical internship.
Is the MBBS degree at UNP recognized in India?
Yes, the MBBS degree awarded by UNP is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI). Graduates of UNP’s MBBS program are eligible to take the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE) in India, which is required for Indian citizens with foreign medical degrees to practice medicine in India.
What is the medium of instruction for the MBBS program at UNP?
The medium of instruction for the MBBS program at UNP is English.
What are the eligibility requirements for Indian students to apply for the MBBS program at UNP?
Indian students who wish to apply for the MBBS program at UNP must have completed their 12th grade education in the science stream with a minimum of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
What is the tuition fee for the MBBS program at UNP?
The tuition fee for the MBBS program at UNP is around PHP 50,000-60,000 per year. However, international students may have to pay higher fees than local students.
Is there any scholarship available for Indian students to study MBBS at UNP?
Yes, UNP offers scholarships to international students, including those from India, based on their academic performance. Indian students can also explore other scholarships offered by the Philippine government or private organizations.
What is the living cost for Indian students studying MBBS at UNP?
The living cost for Indian students studying MBBS at UNP depends on several factors such as accommodation, food, transportation, and personal expenses. On average, it may range from PHP 10,000-15,000 per month.
What are the hostel facilities available for Indian students at UNP?
UNP has several hostels for its students, including international students. The hostels provide basic amenities such as electricity, water, and Wi-Fi. The hostel fee is around PHP 10,000-15,000 per year.
What is the climate like in Vigan City, where UNP is located?
Vigan City has a tropical climate, with an average temperature of 26°C. The city experiences two seasons: a wet season from June to November and a dry season from December to May.
What are the career opportunities for Indian students after completing the MBBS program at UNP?
Indian students who complete their MBBS program at UNP can pursue various career opportunities, such as practicing medicine in India or other countries, pursuing postgraduate studies in medicine, or pursuing research in medical sciences.
What is the admission process for Indian students to apply for the MBBS program at UNP?
Indian students can apply for the MBBS program at UNP through the official website or through authorized representatives. The application process usually involves submitting academic transcripts, a valid NEET scorecard, and other supporting documents. Shortlisted candidates may have to undergo an interview.
What is the student-faculty ratio at UNP’s MBBS program?
UNP has a student-faculty ratio of 20:1, which ensures that students receive personalized attention and guidance from their professors.
What is the curriculum of the MBBS program at UNP?
The MBBS program at UNP follows a comprehensive and integrated curriculum that includes basic sciences, clinical sciences, and community medicine.
Students also participate in clinical rotations at affiliated hospitals to gain practical experience.
What is the language proficiency requirement for Indian students to apply for the MBBS program at UNP?
Indian students who wish to apply for the MBBS program at UNP must demonstrate proficiency in English by providing scores from standardized tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. Alternatively, they can provide a certificate from their previous educational institution indicating that the medium of instruction was English.
What is the visa process for Indian students to study MBBS at UNP?
Indian students must apply for a student visa (9F) to study MBBS at UNP. They must provide proof of acceptance to the MBBS program, a valid passport, and financial documents showing that they can support their studies and living expenses in the Philippines.
Are there any extracurricular activities available for Indian students at UNP?
UNP has a range of extracurricular activities and student organizations that Indian students can participate in, such as sports teams, cultural clubs, and academic societies.
What is the medical insurance requirement for Indian students studying MBBS at UNP?
International students studying MBBS at UNP are required to have medical insurance that covers hospitalization, surgery, and outpatient consultations. They can purchase insurance through UNP or through other insurance providers.
How safe is Vigan City for Indian students?
Vigan City is generally considered safe for Indian students, with a low crime rate and a friendly local community. However, students are advised to take necessary precautions and follow safety guidelines to ensure their well-being.
What is the scope of research opportunities for Indian students at UNP?
UNP has several research centers and institutes that offer opportunities for students to engage in research projects and collaborations. Indian students can also participate in conferences and seminars to gain exposure to the latest developments in medical sciences.
How can Indian students prepare for the cultural differences when studying at UNP?
Indian students can prepare for the cultural differences by researching about the Philippines and Vigan City, learning basic phrases in Filipino, and being open-minded and respectful towards the local culture and customs. UNP also offers orientation programs and cultural activities to help international students acclimate to their new environment.