Faculty of Medicine Foca
The University of East Sarajevo is a public university. The university has its seat in Sarajevo which is the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It has a whole of 15 faculties and 2 academies that are located in many different cities around the country. The faculty of medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry is located in the small city of Foca which is around 80 kilometers south of Sarajevo. The University has existed there since the year of 1992 and now has nearly 13000 students and around 933 academic staff. The University is decentralized and has its faculties in many different cities like Podrinje, Semberija, Trebinje, Pale, Foča, East Sarajevo, Zvornik, Bijeljina, and Doboj.
Check Your Eligibility
The University is involved in several international and foreign projects like the Erasmus+, Horizon 2020, Tempus, COST i.e The European Cooperation in Science and Technology, CEEPUS i.e Central European Exchange Programme for University Studies, and tens of bilateral or multilateral contracts with the colleges and universities from all over the earth like for example, with Maribor University, the University of Milano-Bicocca in the country of Italy, University KaHo Sint-Lieven in the country of Belgium, University Shandong in the country of China, Beijing Foreign Studies University, Vytautas Magnus University in the country of Lithuania, Zhejiang Wanli University, Hangzhou Normal University in the country of China or the University of Pisa in the country of Italy. The University is also known to cooperate with various different agencies or many different private companies like the European Public Law Organization – UES, Polish Academy of Sciences Krakow, – UES, Faculty of Law, Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Faculty of Technology or with Clinical Center of Montenegro– UES, Faculty of Medicine.
About the Faculty of Medicine at the University of East Sarajevo
The Faculty of Medicine is providing a program in the field of General medicine. This system has been provided for the last 6 years and it is taught in the medium of English language. The faculty started the system in the year of 1993 with the goal of educating and providing the local hospitals with doctors, nurses and dentists. Since then it has developed into an organization that has now over 2000 students in several study programs.
The foreign and international program in the medium English language started in the academic year 2020 and 2021, thus academic the year of 2022 and 2023 will be their third intake for a program in the field of General medicine. Students of the field of general medicine come from various nations, such as Egypt, Bangladesh, Nepal, Italy, Slovenia and India. There will also be a program for the field of Dental medicine that will be opened in the year 2022 or 2023 for the first time. The faculty is affiliated with a total of 6 faculties of medicine in Bosnia and Herzegovina and they work nearly with the University hospital, that is located next to the faculties. Teachers and professors are known to have experience and knowledge from abroad and are also the holders of various certificates and diplomas from all over the planet.
The strategy, method and teaching style of the Faculty of the University of East Sarajevo
Foreign and International students of the field of general medicine or the field of dental medicine can anticipate a really special approaches or methods from the faculty of the University. The administration of the Faculty of the University of East Sarajevo, particularly the foreign and international departments is known to organise trips and leisure time activities for their students. Many meetings are conducted for the new students every Wednesday of the week, where they make it possible to ask for developments or even clear the doubts of the student if any. Each and every student will get a tutor i.e two students will be getting one tutor, who will be available at any point of their need. These are the available tutors who are usually selected from the students in higher years of their degrees.
The students are composed into small groups of 5 to 7 of them. All the education is composed of theoretical and practical parts that end with a credit test or examination. Classes are commonly composed of blocks, which means students have serious learning sessions on a given subject that are also followed by a test or exam. There are available not only teachers from Foca but also there are present teachers from different cities too who are coming to teach the local, foreign and international students. The students might visit also several departments of other hospitals in Bosnia and Herzegovina, for example, the Department of nuclear medicine or the Department of tropical medicine in the Hospital in Belgrade.
The students will also take the intensive course in the local language of the city which helps them to deal during their clinical classes and also interact with the patients in the local hospitals. Most of the citizens of Foca are known to speak the Serbian language which is the Slavic language.
About the program in the field of General medicine at the University of East Sarajevo,
Faculty of Medicine Foca
The program of General medicine is taught in the medium of English language and is also known to be open to all foreign and international students. It has 6 years i.e with a total of 360 credits and is also the cheapest option for the studies of Medicine anywhere abroad. The amount of tuition fees is only around 3000€, whereas it is also made possible to pay the tuition fees in 3 instalments, there is known to be only one intake that is in the Winter semester of the degree. The students for the first year of their course start their course of education in the month of November so that they can have sufficient time to complete their whole visa process. The academic year contains 2 semesters, where the Winter semester is known to start in the month of November, respectively in the month of October for the students in the higher years of their degree, and the Summer semester starts in the month of March. There are a total of 15 weeks of education and the examinations are running during the whole academic year of the degree.
The curriculum of the study program in the field of General medicine
- 1st-year curriculum contains the following: Anatomy, Medicine and society, Histology and Cell biology and human genetics, methodology of scientific research, Clinical practice 1 and emergency medical help, Serbian language 1 and there are two subjects from the offered elective subjects which are Medical terminology and Latin, Biophysics, Informatics in Medicine, Communication skills or English language
- The 2nd-year curriculum contains the following: Medical biochemistry with chemistry, Clinical practice 2, Immunology, Physiology, and Microbiology. Serbian language 2 and there are two from the provided elective subjects which are the Biomarkers of oxidative stress, nutrition physiology, Possibility of applying bacteria for practical purposes, physiology of sport.
- The 3rd-year curriculum contains the following: Epidemiology, Pathology, Pathological Physiology, Radiology and nuclear medicine, General pharmacology, Medical statistics, Clinical propaedeutic and there are two subjects from the list of the provided elective subjects which are the Pathophysiological aspects of functional diagnostics, New methods in radiology, analysis, and importance, Clinical Autopsy, Medical psychology.
- The 4th-year curriculum contains the following: Special pharmacology and toxicology, Internal medicine, Infectious diseases with special epidemiology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Dermatovenerology, Clinical microbiology, and 2 elective subjects: Intrahospital infections and their preventions, clinical immunology, Health management, Clinical pharmacokinetics, and rational pharmacotherapy.
- 5th-year curriculum contains the following: Pediatrics, Surgery, Physical medicine and rehabilitation, Gynecology, Clinical oncology, Social medicine, and two provided elective subjects which are the Palliative Medicine, Geriatrics, Pain medicine, Clinical pathology
- The 6th-year curriculum contains the following: Ophthalmology, Family medicine, Clinical pharmacology, Otorhinalaryngolory with maxillofacial surgery, Occupational medicine, Forensic medicine, Pediatrics, Hygiene with medical ecology, Emergency medicine, Internal medicine, Clinical practical training from Surgery, Pediatrics, Gynecology, Family medicine, Emergency medicine. There are no elective subjects in the last i.e the 6th year of the degree course.
About the program in the field of Dental medicine at the University of East Sarajevo,
Faculty of Medicine Foca
The program of Dental medicine at the university will start to intake students in the year of 2022 and 2023 and will be taught in the medium of English language. It is open to all foreign and international students who pass their entrance exam with the required marks and acknowledge with the admission rules. There is an utmost of total 20 students that are accepted to the program. The program is known to have a total of 6 years to be completed. The Faculty of dentistry is located on the university campus only and directly next to the University hospital of Foca.
The number of tuition fees required for the program
The total amount of tuition fee is 3100€, it is also made likely to pay the fees in 3 instalments. It is known to be the cheapest medical education that is present in Europe.
The application giving process and the ultimate selection process
The application submitting process is performed fully remotely i.e it only includes the submission of the papers and documents, so the candidates do not need to travel to Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is also possible to score an utmost of 100 points, whereas the candidate will only need a minimum of 51 points as it is the minimum score requirement that is asked to be accepted by the University. The score point structure is the mentioned: 20 points are required for a test biology subject, 20 points are required for a test of chemistry subject, 10 points are required from an oral interview performed by the University and lastly 50 points are required from the marks of the result of the secondary school. There are also some preparatory materials that are proposed by the university for future students. Presently, there is no minimum number of score points that are needed from the secondary school’s marks to be assessed as a candidate for the admission process.
The papers and documents that are required for the registration for sitting in the entrance exam:- There are the following mentioned documents that need to be submitted for registration for the entrance exam:
- An application form
- The candidate’s birth certificate must be in the international format or in the medium of English language.
- A copy of the ID or the passport of the student.
- The transcript of the records that came from all years of study at the secondary school needs to be translated to the language of English or to the language of Serbian.
- The school leaving certificate of the candidate must be translated to the language of English or to the language of Serbian
- A motivational letter is also required.
Note:- Academic documents need to be verified by the apostille or the super legalization that is provided by the given embassy, that is after being accepted by the university.
Accommodation or housing for the International or foreign students
There is a dormitory that is located just 10 to 15 minutes by walking distance from the university building. It was built in the year 2018 and is known to provide some new facilities for international and foreign students. The first-year candidates are asked to live in dormitories so that they will be in touch with their other classmates or their seniors and also their mentors. Note: every two students or candidates are allotted one mentor during their study. Students or candidates in higher years of their degree have the permission to decide whether to stay in the dormitory or can also move to any private housing within the city. The price of housing is nearly 250€, but it comprises 3 meals a day.
This is all about the University of East Sarajevo,
Faculty of Medicine Foca that one needs to know if he or she is interested in taking admission