Check Your Eligibility
Smolensk State Medical University
The Smolensk State Medical University was founded in the year 1920. It is situated near the Dnieper River which is 360 kilometers (220 mi) west-southewest of Moscow. It is considered to be one of the top Medical Universities to study MBBS in Russia. This university is recognized by MCI, WHO, USA, UK, and other major countries. It secures 22nd position in the international rating. At present, this university is a big scientific foundation where methodical, fundamental and applied scientific research is performed.
However, in March 2015, the Russian government changed Smolensk State Medical Academy to Smolensk State Medical University.
Students from over 50 countries study in Smolensk Medical University. The MBBS course is carried out in English medium. It comprises of 67 departments where 450 highly qualified professors are working. All the departments and faculties are well equipped with Bio-Chemical Laboratories, Electronic Microscopes, and Radio-Isotope Laboratories. Also, the lecture halls are fully equipped with multimedia apparatuses and Tele-Video. The Smolensk State Medical University has tie-ups with 31 hospitals.
Affiliations and Recognition of Smolensk State Medical University
- Smolensk State Medical University has gained recognition from various authorities and organizations.
- The university is recognized by the National Medical Commission (NMC), which is a regulatory body in India that oversees medical education and training.
- It is also recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNESCO, which are internationally recognized bodies that aim to promote health and education worldwide.
- The Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation has also recognized the university for its excellence in medical education and research.
- Additionally, the university has received recognition from other international medical organizations such as the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), the General Medical Council (GMC) in the United Kingdom, the Australian Medical Council (AMC), the Medical Council of Canada (MCC), and the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
- These affiliations and recognitions signify that the Smolensk State Medical University provides quality medical education, research, and training, and meets the international standards for medical education.
Global Ranking of Smolensk State Medical University
Smolensk State Medical University is one of the leading medical institutions in Russia, ranking 22nd in the country. The Smolensk State Medical University has a national ranking of 258, while its global ranking is at 5507.The university has a rich history and a reputation for producing highly skilled medical professionals. Its academic programs are recognized for their excellence and the university attracts students from across Russia and beyond.
Why Study MBBS in Smolensk State Medical University?
- Smolensk State Medical University offers practical training to enhance employment prospects.
- On-campus hostel accommodation is available, making it easier for students to access the university.
- The university has a large library and activity centres to keep students involved.
- Students are exposed to scientific and clinical research during their studies.
- English is the language of instruction, eliminating language barriers for international students.
- The university has 31 hospitals, including 8 with 6000 beds for student education.
- No hidden fees or additional donations are required in the fee structure.
- The staff is experienced and well-equipped.
- Students can participate in research programs to increase their knowledge and confidence.
- The library has over 60000 books.
- Cultural programs, including Indian cultural events, are held annually.
MBBS in Smolensk State Medical University Overview
- Smolensk State Medical University was established in 1920 in Smolensk, Russia and is a government university.
- The university is approved by both the National Medical Commission (NMC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- To be eligible for admission, students need to have a minimum of 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in their aggregate score.
- The course duration for the medical program is 6 years, which includes an internship.
- Students need to have appeared for NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) to be eligible for admission.
- Proficiency in English is necessary, but students do not have to take the IELTS or TOEFL exams.
- The medium of teaching for the medical program is English.
- The annual tuition fee for the medical program at Smolensk State Medical University is Rs. 4.25 lakhs.
- The university has on-campus hostel facilities available for students to stay in during their time at the university.
Advantages of studying MBBS at Smolensk State Medical University
- Comfortable environment for Indian students: As there are already many Indian students on campus, new Indian students will feel more comfortable studying at Smolensk State Medical University.
- Recognized by WHO and MCI: The World Health Organization and the Medical Council of India recognize the university, ensuring that Indian students receive quality education.
- Experienced and well-equipped faculty: With a well-trained and well-equipped faculty, Smolensk State Medical University has an edge over its competitors.
- Positive feedback from Indian alumni: Indian students who have graduated from the university have spoken positively about their experiences.
- Exchange programs: The university has collaborations with top universities from around the world, offering students the opportunity to participate in exchange programs.
- Choice of language: Students can choose to study in either English or Russian, making it easier for Indian students to adapt to the new environment.
- Affordable fees: The program fees are fairly low compared to other medical universities, making it more accessible to Indian students.
- Indian hostel accommodations and food: Indian students can find a home away from home with hostel accommodations and Indian food options available on campus.
- Russian language course: For those interested, the university offers a Russian language course to help students better integrate into the local community.
- Diverse student body: With a diverse range of students from around the world, Indian students can interact and learn about different cultures and values.
- Quiet study environment: Students can study in peace and quiet in the campus library, creating an ideal learning environment.
Duration of MBBS in Smolensk State Medical University
The MBBS program at Smolensk State Medical University spans a period of 6 years, encompassing 5 years of classroom instruction and practical training, followed by a mandatory 1-year internship.
Faculties at Smolensk State Medical Academy
- Faculty of General Medicine: This faculty offers a six-year program in general medicine, preparing students to become medical doctors. The curriculum includes theoretical courses, laboratory work, and clinical training, covering a wide range of medical specialties such as anatomy, physiology, pathology, internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and obstetrics and gynecology.
- Faculty of Clinical Psychology and Social Work: This faculty trains students in clinical psychology and social work, helping them develop the knowledge, skills, and values needed to work in a variety of healthcare settings. The curriculum includes courses in developmental psychology, psychotherapy, group dynamics, family therapy, and social policy, as well as practical training in hospitals, clinics, and social service agencies.
- Faculty of Pharmaceutics: This faculty offers a five-year program in pharmaceutics, preparing students to become pharmacists. The curriculum includes courses in chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, pharmacognosy, and pharmaceutical technology, as well as practical training in drug manufacturing, quality control, and drug dispensing.
- Faculty of Paediatrics: This faculty trains students to work as pediatricians, focusing on the medical care of infants, children, and adolescents. The curriculum includes courses in pediatric anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, and infectious diseases, as well as practical training in pediatric clinics, neonatal units, and intensive care units.
- Faculty for Foreign Students: This faculty offers programs in medicine, dentistry, and nursing for international students, providing them with the opportunity to study in English and learn about Russian culture and healthcare. The curriculum includes courses in basic and clinical sciences, as well as practical training in hospitals and clinics.
- Faculty of Dentistry: This faculty trains students to become dentists, focusing on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of dental and oral diseases. The curriculum includes courses in dental anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, and restorative dentistry, as well as practical training in dental clinics, oral surgery, and orthodontics.
- Faculty of Higher Nursing: This faculty offers programs in nursing, preparing students to become registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and nurse educators. The curriculum includes courses in nursing theory, research, leadership, and management, as well as practical training in hospitals, community health centers, and home care.
- Faculty of Postgraduate Studies: This faculty provides continuing education and research opportunities for medical professionals, including doctors, dentists, pharmacists, and nurses. The programs include master’s and doctoral degrees, as well as short-term courses and workshops, covering various areas of healthcare, such as surgery, neurology, cardiology, and oncology.
Fees Structure at Smolensk State Medical University 2023-2024
The fee structure for Smolensk State Medical University in 2023-24 is $6000 per annum for tuition and hostel expenses.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS in Smolensk State Medical University
To be eligible for Smolensk State Medical University’s MBBS/MD programs, students must fulfill certain criteria:
- Completion of Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) or 10+2 from a recognized state board.
- The HSC should be completed in Science subjects, including biology, physics, and chemistry.
- The applicant should have completed the age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission.
- The candidate must have scored at least 50% in their HSC boards from a recognized board of examination.
- Educational documents may need to be translated into Russian.
- Applicants must clear the NEET examination.
Admission Process for MBBS in Smolensk State Medical University
The admission process for Smolensk State Medical University can be broken down into several steps:
- Fill out the online application form provided by the university, selecting the course you wish to study. You will also need to provide scanned copies of your 12th and 10th grade marks, NEET score card, and a valid passport.
- Once you have completed the application form, print it out, sign it, and send a scanned copy of the form along with all required documents to the university.
- Send the scanned copies of your documents via email with the subject line “Application for Admission”.
- Ensure that all documents are submitted before the final deadline, as the university will not accept any documents after this date.
- After verifying your documents, the university will send you either an acceptance or rejection letter.
- Payment of fees will be determined by the university, but in most cases, it can be paid online.
- If you are accepted, you must apply for a student visa for Russia immediately. The university will mail you an Invitation letter, which is necessary to obtain your visa.
Documents Required for Admission in MBBS in Smolensk State Medical University
- Applicants need to provide a scanned copy of their original passport for admission to Smolensk State Medical University.
- Scanned copies of their 10+2 mark sheets and application form are also required.
- Students must also provide a scanned copy of their NEET report card to be considered for admission.
- Birth certificates and medical certificates are mandatory documents.
- Passport-size photographs should also be submitted as part of the application process.
- Financial records should be provided to demonstrate the student’s ability to cover their expenses while studying at the university.
MBBS Syllabus in Smolensk State Medical University
The medical curriculum is structured into six years, divided into semesters. Each semester focuses on different subjects related to medicine, including basic sciences and clinical studies.
- The first semester of medical school is dedicated to Anatomy, which is the study of the structure and function of the human body.
- The second semester builds on the foundation of Anatomy and includes Anatomy & Histology, which is the study of the tissues and organs of the body.
- The third semester encompasses a broad range of subjects, including Histology, Biochemistry, Psychology & Pedagogy, Cell Biology, Microbiology, and General Pathology.
- The fourth semester continues with Biochemistry and Microbiology and adds Physiology, which is the study of the function of the body’s organs and systems.
- The fifth semester focuses on Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, and Pathophysiology, which is the study of the changes that occur in the body due to disease.
- The sixth semester delves deeper into Pathology and Pathophysiology and adds Genetics and Principles of Clinical Medicine, which is the application of medical knowledge to patient care.
- The seventh through twelfth semesters cover a wide range of specialties and subspecialties in medicine, including Oncology, Pediatrics, Neurology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Neurology and Psychiatry, ENT, Cardiology, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Primary Care Medicine, Internal Medicine, Psychology, and Emergency Medicine.
Hostel and Accommodation Facilities Available in Smolensk State Medical University
- Smolensk State Medical University has four hostels to accommodate approximately 2000 students.
- International students are also welcome to stay in the university’s hostels.
- The hostels are apartment buildings equipped with kitchens, rooms, and bathrooms.
- Separate flats are available for men and women.
- The residence halls are equipped with a high-security system for the safety of the students.
- Local shops are easily accessible within walking distance, and transportation is convenient.
- The university has central air conditioning to provide a comfortable environment for students.
- The hostel system is well-maintained and ensures that students have access to all necessary facilities.
- The university takes care of the students’ accommodation needs, making it easier for them to focus on their studies.
Cost of Living in Smolensk State Medical University
The cost of living in Smolensk varies depending on the lifestyle and necessities of individual students. The following points summarize the expenses that one may incur while living in Smolensk:
- Accommodation costs range from Rs. 3000 to Rs. 4000. However, these costs may vary depending on the type of accommodation, such as a shared apartment or a private room.
- Food costs range from Rs. 6500 to Rs. 7000 per month. This expense includes groceries and meals eaten outside, such as in restaurants or cafes.
- Transport costs in Smolensk range from Rs. 1500 to Rs. 2000 per month. This expense includes public transportation, such as buses or trains, as well as occasional taxi rides.
- Other expenses, such as entertainment, clothing, and personal care items, are not included in the above estimates and may vary depending on individual preferences and habits.
Benefits of Studying MBBS in Russia for Indian Students
Studying MBBS in Russia can be a rewarding experience, with many benefits that make it a popular destination for international students.
- No extra entrance examination required: Unlike other countries, Russia does not require additional entrance exams for MBBS aspirants. As long as you have cleared the NEET exam, you can apply directly to universities in Russia.
- No donations required: Many universities in India require students to pay hefty donations to secure a seat. However, universities in Russia do not accept any kind of donations, making it an affordable option for many students.
- Clean and safe environment: Russia is known for its cleanliness and safety, making it an ideal place for students to live and study. Crime rates are relatively low, and the government takes measures to ensure public safety.
- Job opportunities: After completing their MBBS degree, students can work in government hospitals in Russia, providing a valuable opportunity to gain practical experience and start their careers.
- Wide scope for specialization: Russia offers a wide range of specialization options for MBBS graduates, with opportunities to further their education and gain expertise in their chosen field.
- Affordable accommodation: Hostel accommodations in Russia are comfortable and affordable, with no hidden fees.
- Low cost of living: The cost of living in Russia is relatively low compared to other European countries, making it an attractive option for students on a tight budget.
- Extra-curricular activities: Along with academics, universities in Russia offer a variety of extra-curricular activities such as sports, drama, and music, providing students with a well-rounded education.
Why MBBS in Smolensk City, Russia?
When it comes to studying medicine, there are several reasons why pursuing an MBBS degree in Smolensk, Russia, might be an excellent option.
- History and Culture: Smolensk is an ancient city that boasts a rich history and culture. As a student, you can immerse yourself in the local customs, traditions, and landmarks, which can enhance your overall learning experience.
- Safe and Welcoming Environment: Smolensk is known for being a safe state where everyone is welcome, regardless of their gender, class, or race. This can provide a sense of security and comfort, especially for international students.
- Proximity to Moscow: Smolensk is located near Moscow, which is the capital of Russia. This means that students can benefit from being in one of the country’s peak locations and have easy access to various resources and opportunities.
- Affordable Travel and Accommodation: Smolensk is an affordable place to live and study, with relatively low travel and accommodation costs. This can be a significant advantage, especially for students who are on a tight budget.
- Modern Facilities: Smolensk is a developed state, and students have access to classrooms equipped with the latest technology. This can enhance the learning experience and help students stay up-to-date with the latest medical advancements.
- Peaceful Environment: Smolensk is a peaceful state with no unrest. This can provide a conducive learning environment for students, where they can focus on their studies without any distractions.
- Outdoor Activities: Smolensk has beautiful parks and gardens, making it an ideal place for outdoor activities. Students can engage in various sports and leisure activities, such as biking, which can improve their physical and mental well-being.
What is the history of Smolensk State Medical University?
Smolensk State Medical University was founded in 1920 as the Smolensk State Medical Institute. Over the years, it has undergone several changes in name, but it has remained a prominent medical university in Russia. Today, it is known as Smolensk State Medical University.
Is Smolensk State Medical University accredited?
Yes, Smolensk State Medical University is accredited by the Russian Ministry of Education and Science. It is also recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Medical Council of India (MCI).
What programs does Smolensk State Medical University offer?
Smolensk State Medical University offers a range of medical programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs. Some of the programs offered include General Medicine, Dentistry, Pediatrics, Pharmacy, and Nursing.
What is the language of instruction at Smolensk State Medical University?
The language of instruction at Smolensk State Medical University is primarily Russian. However, the university also offers an English language program for international students.
Can international students study at Smolensk State Medical University?
Yes, international students can study at Smolensk State Medical University. The university has a dedicated International Department that provides support to international students throughout their studies.
How long does it take to complete a medical degree at Smolensk State Medical University?
The duration of a medical degree at Smolensk State Medical University varies depending on the program. The General Medicine program takes six years to complete, while the Dentistry program takes five years. However, international students may need to complete a preparatory course before starting their degree program.
What is the cost of studying at Smolensk State Medical University?
The cost of studying at Smolensk State Medical University varies depending on the program and the level of study. International students can expect to pay higher fees than Russian students. However, the university offers scholarships and financial aid to deserving students.
What are the admission requirements for Smolensk State Medical University?
The admission requirements for Smolensk State Medical University vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, applicants are required to have a high school diploma or equivalent and pass an entrance examination.
What is the student life like at Smolensk State Medical University?
Smolensk State Medical University has a vibrant student life with a range of cultural, social, and sporting activities. The university has several student organizations and clubs that cater to different interests. The university also has a well-equipped sports complex that students can use.
What are the employment prospects for graduates of Smolensk State Medical University?
Graduates of Smolensk State Medical University are highly sought after by employers in Russia and around the world. Many graduates go on to work in hospitals, clinics, research institutions, and other healthcare organizations. The university also has a dedicated Career Center that provides support to students and graduates in finding employment opportunities.