RSU was founded in 1915, as a women’s teacher training institute. In 1918, it was renamed as the Ryazan State Pedagogical Institute. In 1930 it was restructured and again renamed as the Ryazan State Pedagogical University. It began to expand its course offerings beyond teacher training in the 1980s; in 1992, it was one of the first pedagogical universities to be granted full university status. As of 1999, they enrolled roughly 5,500 students and employed 400 faculty and administrative staff.
The university began to use its present name in 2006
The University is among the initiators and active participants of the regional Equipment Building cluster, involving the leading businesses of the scientific and industrial complex.
The 28 leading research directions in the RSU include the following directions as priority ones: kinetic effects and mechanisms of electron relaxation in nanostructures; electron physics; co-ordination of chiral amino-phosphites; modeling, analysis, and optimization of computing systems based on neural processors, and others:
Development of a multifunctional programming platform for neural processor and systems, “NP Studio”