Kazakh National Medical University is a university in Almaty, Kazakhstan. It is the no.1 medical institute in all of Kazakhstan. Many of Kazakhstan’s leading physicians are affiliated with the university. It is dedicated to S.D. Asfendiyarov who was the first rector when the university was established in 1931. In 2001, the government classified it as a “national” university. There are more than 11000 students, Ph.D. students study at KazNMU, and there are more than 1500 faculty members working at KazNMU, including more than 200 doctors of science, 130 professors, more than 500 candidates of science and 15-laureates of State prizes.
History of Kazakh National Medical University named after S.D. Asfendiyarov
In 1930 by RSFSR SP council’s decision the first institute in Kazakhstan was founded. The first rector was S.D.Asfendiyarov, a graduating-student of Leningrad Military Medical Academy.
For great services and people’s public health development, the medical institute was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labour in April of 1981.
In 2001 Kazakh State medical university named after S.D.Asfendiyarov was awarded the high national status of the university.
KAZNMU MISSION AND VIEW
Providence of society with harmonically developed specialists of high and post-diploma education, presenting new knowledge in medicine and pharmacy, rendering ethic, highly qualified medical service and strongly and deeply integrated into the world’s community.
Creation of an effective model of the competitive, innovation-focused university, rendering highly qualified medical education, up-date scientific investigations on urgent problems of Public health, implemented in practical health care at a medical services market.
S.D. Asfendiyarov KazNMU view:
- leader in training competitive specialists with high and post-diploma education of the international level;
- scientific research center of development, scientific and innovative potential in the sphere of medical education and science;
- center of united informational field forming, providing the unity of science, education, and practice, keeping and augmenting scientific traditions with the following development of the national scientific school;
- clinical center of advanced prophylaxis technologies, diagnostics, treatment and rehabilitation of patients;
- leader in the system of continuous professional education;
At the university, there are 76 departments and 7 courses at 6 faculties (therapeutic, pediatric, public health, management in public health and pharmacy, general medicine, professional training, and 2 faculties (pharmaceutical and stomatological) departments were transformed into modules (pharmaceutical faculty 5 modules, stomatological 9 modules)
The university has introduced and certified the System of Quality Management in the field of “Development and educational services rendering in the sphere of high professional education in medicine; advanced medical high school studies of doctors and teachers; rendering therapeutic diagnostic services; carrying on scientific investigations in medicine” (Certificate SGS (Sweden) ? HU 11/5879 of June, 20,2011).
The control of System of Quality Management is being observed by 40 certified internal auditors including 5 students.
Management is realized through Supervisory board, Academic and Quality Councils weekly meetings of University administration, monthly meetings of department heads and students’ active bodies. For effective integration with University partners new innovative and educational consortium “Corporate University” has been created.
From September 2011 University developed the program of Innovative development for 2011-2014 years.
Professorial teaching staff of KazNMU accounts 1712 staff units, of them there are 4 academicians of RK National academy of sciences, 2 persons of Russian academy of sciences, 10 ones corresponding members of RK National academy of sciences, 20 ones of preventive medicine academy and academy of natural sciences, 15 ones of international academies, 159 Doctors of medicine, 430 candidates of sciences, 15 laureates of State premium.
Visiting professors are being involved in the educational process. The recruiting department is now working within the University.
For realizing the Strategy of the university development and the Program of the personnel development during 2010-2011y. The department of human resources development carried on training for PTS with10 years of work experience on the below-given cycles of qualification increase:
- Basic pedagogic and psychology – 677
- Computer skills – 888
- Kazakh – 300
- English – 250
- Evidential medicine – 367
H.S. Nasybullin pedagogical skills school was established in accordance with the University organizational structure, approved by the Academic Council and operates under the University Article.
Education in H.S. Nasybullin pedagogical skills school was:
- 60% – professional development for teachers-in-training;
- 40% – professional development for teachers of medical schools in pedagogy.
The main activity objective is in tasks and functions realization, which are assigned to the “School” to train professional and competent professionals, who represent the reserve. The main “School” objectives are:
- timely response to the University needs in research and personnel teaching, through training and retention at the University of highly skilled workers, which are capable of ensuring the implementation of strategic objectives and aims set by the University. Create conditions for the formation and development of young professional competence of the teaching staff.
The curriculum in the “School” includes the study of the following modules:
- Module 1 – for teachers-in-training:
- Module 2 – for the teachers of medical universities:
- Module 3 – seminars, trainings and workshops:
- Module 4 – program for advisors:
For all University employees, involvement into the process of University perfection Academic Council has made a decision “About implementation of Kaizen strategy”. According to this program every University employee can offer ways to make the University a better place and be awarded financially for this idea.
“Kaizen” program working group has reviewed 36 ideas, 6 of them were implemented successfully, 5 are ongoing.
MATERIAL TECHNICAL BASE
KazNMU is the powerful scientific-educational complex, including 7 educational buildings, Centre of practical skills, Testing center with 8 computer studies (102 computers, but 140 ones work during a session), a library (6 reading halls, book fund accounts 1065263 copies, electronic library, internet study with 120 places). Besides the Republican scientific medical library and 2 anatomical museums function on the base of the university.
The program of information system development is now being implemented in the University. In 2011 University has purchased 1000 netbooks and distributed them to outstanding students free of charge.
Institute of dentistry, OCC, university clinic of inner diseases, SRI, SC of Republican importance, therapeutic preventive institutions of Almaty and Kazakhstan oblast centers are the KazNMU clinical bases of therapeutic, surgical, pediatric and stomatological profile (76) bases in total) (According to Republic of Kazakhstan government decision dated March 2, 2010, ?157).
- Republic scientific-practical center of psychiatry, mental therapy and addictology the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- B.U. Djarbusinov scientific center of urology, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Kazakh order “Honor sign” scientific-research center of eye diseases, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Scientific center of pediatrics and children surgery, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Kazakh scientific-research institute of Oncology and Radiology, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Scientific-research dermatovenerologic Institute, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Scientific-research Institute of Cardiology and Inner Diseases, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- A.N. Syzganov National science center of Cardiology, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Scientific center of maieutics, gynecology, and perinatology, the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan
In 2010 the KazNMU to develop scientific activity opened SRI named after B.A. Atchabarov with clinical-experimental and scientific-educational laboratory (SEL).
INTERACTION WITH OTHER BODIES AND ORGANIZATIONS.
University Administration closely cooperates with the bodies and organizations of Public health. Annually Rector with Pro-rectors hold out-door conferences with the heads of Almaty, Zhambyl, Kzyl-orda, South Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan, North Kazakhstan, Atyrau, Mangistau, oblasts and Almaty public health departments on the problems of training interns, training and retraining and advanced studies of doctors, pharmaceutists, nurses. Besides pedagogical workers of medical education institutions study at the advanced medical courses on the base of the Centre of continuous education.