The All India Institute of Medical Sciences was established in 1956 by an Act of Parliament as an institute holding national significance. It was a dream come true establishment for Dr. Jawaharlal Nehru and Rajkumari Amrit Kaur to nurture excellence in every aspect of health care. The institution’s essential objective was to develop varied teaching patterns in Post Graduate and Undergraduate Medical education. All branches under this institution demonstrate the professional quality of Medical Education in India; health personnel are taught all the essential health activity components and made to attain self-reliance in Medical Education.
- Attainment of self-sufficiency in Postgraduate Medical Education
- To bring high-quality medical education facilities together for training medical personnel in all the significant sections of health activities.
- To produce a teaching pattern effective for Postgraduate and Undergraduate medical education in all branches of the institution that can act as a demonstration for other medical institutions in India and medical colleges.
- Novelty in medical education
- Creating future medical teachers for the nation
- Exploring new fields in medical education and related sciences
- Teaching and research focused on community
- Dental and Nursing education
- Postgraduate teaching in physical, biological, and medical sciences
- Undergraduate education in physical, biological, and medical sciences
- Focusing on promotive, preventive, and curative healthcare
AIIMS offers a total of one hundred and forty-six specializations under fifteen courses. The courses offered are:
- Ch/DM (six years)
- Sc Nursing
- Sc Honours
- Sc – Biotechnology/Nursing
- MD – Hospital Administration
Candidates can take admission into this institution for its high-quality education and training approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and Medical Council of India (MCI). Outlook India and NIRF have ranked it as the top institute under their list of medical colleges.
For all its courses, AIIMS prefers the online mode of form acceptance and admission fee payment. Candidates who are willing to join the MBBS course have to take an entrance exam in all India level, the NEET-UG. Candidates preferring to join MDS, MD, or MS need to take the AIIMS PG entrance exam. For M.Ch/DM candidates also, the AIIMS PG exam is applicable to get entry into the institution. Candidates who want to join any other course under AIIMS have to take the entrance tests designed explicitly by the institution on specific dates.
- MBBS – The MBBS course under AIIMS’s undergraduate program is offered for 4.5 years, including a one-year internship period. Candidates willing to join this course must have 60% marks in their senior secondary exams with a subject combination of English, Chemistry, Physics, Biotechnology or Biology. They should also pass the NEET-UG examination and complete NEET counseling successfully.
- Sc/ B.Sc Honours/B.Sc Post Basic – Candidates should have a minimum score of 50% in high school with a combination of English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. For the Post Basic course, a diploma holder in general nursing or midwifery is also eligible. Candidates need to clear the entrance test given by AIIMS for the respective courses.
- MDS/MS/MD – Candidates willing to join the three-year post-graduation programs should have a minimum score of 55% in Bachelor’s degree. They must have an MBBS degree, and it should be MCI approved. The entrance test for the courses is AIIMS PG, in which 76 is the cutoff rank for MDS and 1,853 for MS or MD.
- Ch/DM – Candidates who want to specialize in Neurosurgery/Paediatric surgery or Infectious diseases should have a valid BDS or MBBS degree, holding not less than a 55% score. They also have to clear the AIIMS-PG entrance test to be eligible. The course duration is for six years. If candidates want to opt for the other 12 specializations of M.Ch or 28 specializations of DM, they must have aN MD or MS degree. The course duration is three years, and selection is made through a Written Test (CBT Mode).
- Ph.D. – Candidate should hold a degree in BDS/MBBS/M.Sc in nursing and will be selected through a practical test and written test.
- Fellowship – MS or MD degree holders only are eligible to opt for the fellowship program offered by AIIMS. Selection is based on an online CBT entrance exam.
Studying at a prestigious institution like AIIMS is a dream for many students, yet only a few can follow them. Scoring well is essential to be a part of any branch of AIIMS as it imparts high-quality medical education to students. It prepares them to be future leaders in medical science who can contribute to take the nation ahead and make a positive impact in the world.